Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Tangiers Kickstarter

I have no idea what the hell this thing is, but I want it.

There's very little I can say about it because so little is currently known about it. I have never played Thief: The Dark Project, which Tangiers quotes as inspiration for its core gameplay. Generally, I prefer to crush my enemies and see them etceterad before me rather than creep about avoiding conflict, but I have on occasion thoroughly enjoyed a bit of skulking.

Given how little it looks like other FPS/RPG/Adventure sub-genres, anyone who invests in Tangiers at this point will do so, as I have, because they share certain emotional or aesthetic triggers. If you're drawn to the dark side, if you enjoy a bit of surrealism in your virtual reality, if you miss the days when everything wasn't cut-and-dry elves or machine guns and distinctive visuals and sound actually mattered, you might want to give this a try.

We might get burned. It may turn out to be nothing but hollow, pretentious art-student foppery. It might be total shit. 'Tis the price we pay for kickstarting.
But at least it's shit like you ain't never seen before.
And that's the prize we get for kickstarting.

No comments:

Post a Comment